Have you heard? Pinterest is a traffic power horse! Many brands and individuals are already using Pinterest to promote their business since 2010.
Guess what? I am not left behind.
I started using Pinterest few months ago, and it is responsible for 300% increase in my blog monthly traffic. That also means a lot of money!
When I heard about Pinterest, and how it can potentially grow your business, I almost not believed it. But no harm in trying, right?
So I decided to give it a try.
But then, I knew nothing about Pinterest. So I started Googling things like:
- ‘How to use Pinterest’
- ‘How to drive traffic using Pinterest’
You already know, Google gave me a bunch of information within a few seconds. I even went as far as 4th page of search result.
… And everything I read thought me almost nothing!
So I started trying thing out myself. I am going to show you exactly what I did that got me over 50,000 extra monthly traffic to my blog, and how you can replicate my success.
What is Pinterest? to start with.
If you don’t know what Pinterest is all about, you may find it difficult to understand how it works. So let’s start by explaining what Pinterest is and how it can help grow your business.
Definition: Pinterest is a platform where users and businesses come to promote and explore their interests by pinning images and videos on a virtual bulletin boards where other people can find them.
Pinterest lets you pin any image or video that links back to your website (or affiliate link). If anyone click on those images, they will be sent to the original source.
How Pinterest works
Pinterest works as a social media, as well as a search engine.
Pinterest as a social media
According to Merriam Webster Dictionary, a social media is a form of electronic communication through which users create online communities to share information, ideas, personal message, and other contents (such as videos).
If you take a look at how Pinterest works, it meets each aspect of social media.
Take a look…
While Facebook has the most involved communities, Pinterest has it’s own community as well.
The first type of community on Pinterest is group boards.
Group boards let one user create a board and invite other members to contribute. People in a board can react to various pins.
Follow, comment and message
Just like Facebook and Instagram, users can leave a comment on your pins, send you a private message and even follow your profile on Pinterest.
Pinterest describes itself as a visual discovery engine that helps people discover the things they are passionate about.
Pinterest users has different ways to share information, such as:
- Idea Pins
- Video Pins
- Regular Pins
- shopable Pins, etc.
Share personal message
Pinterest let you message people directly on the platform. You can either leave comments on pins or send a direct message to a user who is following you (or anyone you are following).
Pinterest as a search engine
According to Merriam webstar dictionary, a search engine is a programme that searches for, and identifies items in a database that corresponds to a keyword or character specified by users, used especially for finding particular site on the internet.
Pinterest also meet that aspect of finding things on the internet.
Take for instance, you are looking for a pizza recipe.
If you land on Pinterest and type in ‘Pizza Recipe’ into the search bar, Pinterest will show you all the ideas related to the given query.
Just like Google and other search engines, Pinterest Algorithm uses different factors to determine what ranks first in a search result. That has made pinner pay more attention to Pinterest SEO (Search engine optimization).
Why you should use Pinterest to promote your business
Why should you include Pinterest in your Online Marketing mix?
Because you can’t afford to miss the chance to build an empire!
Using Pinterest as a marketing tool for your business, you will be introduced to a whole lots of new audiences.
Pinterest is now the forth largest social media platform, just after YouTube. Having over 367 million active users in 2020.
Wvwn though Pinterest doesn’t have its active users in Billions like Facebook, it always had a high conversion rate for small buowgo uses the platform for business promotion.
According to a recent surval carried out by Pinterest on pinners, Pinterest influence what people buy, which brand they choose and how much they spend.
In short, here is are some stats to have in mind:
- 72% of Pinterest users say that Pinterest inspire them to shop when they are not looking for anything.
- 70% discover new products on Pinterest
- 90% of pinners say Pinterest help them decide what to buy
- 78% say it is useful to see contents from brands on Pinterest
- 66% of Pinterest users admit they buy something after seeing a brands pin
- 59% of people use Pinterest to find more information about their purchases.
Talking of what you will benefit from Pinterest, there are five main benefits of using Pinterest to promote your business:
1. You will earn twice the amount you spend (100% ROI)
Pinterest said it. For every $1 spent on the platform, businesses typically make $2 in return.
Unlike other platforms where ads interrupt user experience, actually see ads they see useful as they browse and shop on the platform. In fact, you see from the stats above that 72% of Pinterest users are actually inspired to buy something, even when they are not looking for anything to buy.
2. Pinterest Marketing is high targeted
Pinterest users has a very high level on intent when they are on the platform. If you are creating a new account, you are immediately asked to select your areas of interest. It has then become natural and common for users to find new brands and products related to what they are interested in.
Most importantly, Pinterest users are shoppers.
66% of users in the United States admit they buy something after seeing a brand’s pin on Pinterest. As a business owner, you can target your ads according to your customers interest.
3. Pinterest content spread faster
Because Pinterest works as a search engine, you don’t have to rely on growing the number of your followers to reach your customers.
The potential of reaching millions of people through search is easier, compared to posting on other social media sites.
Also, according to Jeff, images are shared 94 times more than plain text. So you can spread your brands message faster by focusing on visual content marketing.
4. Pinterest is a tool for shopping, sharing and Promoting
Pinterest wants you to sell more products because they will see more traffic and also, it’s users will have a better user experience.
You will be able to take advantage of many tools to increase sales, such as shop button, save button, promoted pins and search shop tab.
- Shop Button: They are blue buttons that will show on the side after users click on your pin image that feature your product. Once anyone clicks on that button, he/she will be directed straight to its product page on your website for them to make purchases.
- Save buttons: This is for businesses to use on their websites and embed on their images to make it possible for users to pin them straight to Pinterest. This should give your business opportunity to be discovered easily by more people.
- Promoted Pins: They are basically paid ads. They have a more targeted approach. The ads looks just like a regular pin with the only difference being a text disclaimer on the bottom of the pin that shouts
promoted By (brand name).
- Search shop tab: This sits next to the explore tab when users inter a search query. It creates a filter of search result of only shopable pins relevant to the keyword that were typed into the search bar.
5. Pinterest has tools and Resources dedicated for SMBs
Pinterest has organized some tools and resources in an effort to support small businesses.
Some key resources and tools include:
- Pinterest shop
- Verified merchant program
- Pinterest for business
- Pinterest academy
How to start using Pinterest for business
So, are you ready to grow your business with Pinterest? You are going to be walked through a step-by-step process of promoting your business on Pinterest.
Step #1, Option #1: Create a Pinterest Business account
The first step to start using Pinterest to promote your business is to create a Pinterest business account (skip to option #2 if you already have a personal account).
To create a brand new business account, just follow these steps:
- Goto Pinterest for business and click ‘Join as a business’
- Fill out details about your business and the person who will manage it.
- Read and accept Pinterest terms od service and click ‘Create account’
If you are too busy to fill out forms, you can create account using your Google or Facebook account. Just click on the button and authorize the app.
Option #2: Convert your personal account to a business account
If you already have a personal pinterest account, you can easy convert it to a business account without ever loosing your contents.
- Login to your current personal account
- Click the small arrow next to tour profile and choose ‘Account settings’
- Click ‘Convert to business account’
When you convert your personal profile to a business account, all your followers, pins and boards will convert to the new account. Everything will remain exactly the same, except for a few features that will be added.
Step #2: Set up your profile
To make your Pinterest account stand out, you will need to:
- Upload your most recent headshot (or logo, if you are a brand)
- Choose your username – This is your chance to brand your url the way it should be.
- Add your Bio – Include keyword relevant to your target audience (see Pinterest SEO for more).
- Add your location
- Add your website and verify it.
Here is an example of our profile, and what your Pinterest business account should look like.
Once the above steps has been completed, it is time to verify your website with Pinterest.
Step #3: Verify your website
Without verification, you won’t have access to rich pins and Pinterest analytics.
Here is how to verify your website with Pinterest :
- Go to the main page of your account and choose ‘edit profile’.
- Scroll down and select ‘claim accounts’ and choose ‘claim website’
- You will see a pop up with verification instructions. Copy the meta tag html and paste it on your website html (below the opening <head> tag) – Click save
- Type in your website URL and click ‘Verify’
- You should receive a response that says verification was successful.
Step #4: Set up rich Pins
Rich pins are pins that include extra informations right on the pin itself. There are currently five types of rich pins:
- Movie rich pins
- Recipe rich pin
- Product rich pin
- Place rich pin
- Article rich pin
Befor you can get access to rich pins, you need to request access and add specific markup code to your website or blog.
You have two option when adding the code to your website:
- Semantic Markup
For WordPress users, you don’t need to add any code to your website if you already have SEO plugins like yoast and Rank Math installed and active.
Verify your rich pin:
- Go to the Rich pin validation page
- Copy a URL of your website content and paste it into the rich pin validtor
- Click ‘Validate’
Once you receive the message that your rich pins was validated, click ‘Apply now’
If you were approved, Pinterest will let you know within 2-3 weeks. And your rich pins will automatically appear on Pinterest.
Step #5: Set up Pinterest boards
Befor you pin an image to Pinterest, you need a board to save it to. Pinterest boards are like folders where you save files. There are two types of boards you can create:
- Secret Boards – Only you can see this type of board
- Public Boards – The type of board that can be seen by everyone
To create boards, follow these steps:
- Select the ‘create’ menu on the top of your computer screen, and click ‘Board’.
- Type in the name of your board – this will also serve as the board title.
- Click ‘save’
- Next, click three dots And choose ‘edit board’ from the menu
- Enter your board description. From the same page, you can tweak your board settings to fit your needs.
- Click ‘Save’ when you are done.
Tips for setting up your Pinterest board.
- Create a minimum of five public boards for your business account. All boards must be relevant to your website and niche.
- Use keywords on your board tilte and description to make it possible for users to find you on Pinterest search.
- Invite contributors to your boards so that your boards will have more contents on it.
Step #6: Start Pinning
At this point, you are ready to start pinning. But then, you need to create images and videos for your pins.
Pinterest advice that your pins should be 2:3 aspects ratio – something like 1000px X 1500px.
Canva is a web based graphic tool that let you create stunning graphics from thousands of free templates within few minutes.
With Canva, you are given access to many pinterest graphics templates that you can edit to your taste and use on Pinterest.
How to save a pin on Pinterest
- Select ‘create’ from the top menu and click ‘Pin’
- Click the ‘+’ icon and upload your images
- At thee right side, add the pin title, description, ALT text and Choose a board
- Then, Click ‘save’
You can also use Pinterest chrome extension or pin it button on your website to easily save a pin to Pinterest.
Pinterest tips to grow your business
In other to succeed on Pinterest, consider following these pinterest best practices :
Consistency is key
Pinterest always want users to be active on the platform. Regularly pinning 5-25 pins every day will get your account some love from Pinterest.
If you are going with 5 pins, make sure you will be able to publish 5 pins on Pinterest every day. That’s consistency!
You can use Tailwind scheduler to easily spread out your pins at a later date.
Tailwind is Pinterest and Instagram Scheduler. And a must-use for every business that want to succeed with Pinterest!
Learn Pinterest SEO
Pinterest is a search engine. SEO is necessary. If you properly set up your Pinterest SEO, and use the right keywords when creating a new pin, Pinterest will more likely promote your pins across Pinterest search when a relevant search is triggered.
Join Tailwind Community
If you are just starting out, joining Tailwind community will be a great idea. Tailwind community is a place where pinnners gather to promote each other by sharing pins and reining from other people’s boards.
Wrapping it up
You seriously can’t avoid using Pinterest to grow your business, especially after reading different seccess stories from different people.
Pinterest is one of the best marketing tool available right now. You can start seeing results almost immediately.
Thank you for stopping by. Please spread the love by sharing this post with your loved ones.
If you have more tips to share with our audience, feel free to come on board. Use the comment section below and tell us what you think about Pinterest.